Wild Willow Hollow

Wild Willow Hollow

Sunday, August 30, 2015

IPM

IPM - Integrated Pest Management, trying to keep them healthy and reduce Varroa Mite problem in hives.
I inspected the colony today and replaced the old bottom board with a screened bottom board that has an opening to add a board for cooler months and winter. As well it's designed to be put in place over a set period of time to count how many mites fall off the bees and this way I'll know if I have a big problem. I'll be adding medicated strips soon to combat the problem but a screen bottom board helps as the mites fall to the ground and don't make it back up into the hive. Needles to say today's inspection got the girls rather stressed out and at one point I decided to put on gloves to take the last super off and replace the bottom board, they were a little pissed, to put it politely. I took out one frame full of honey and moved a few around to see if I can get them to draw it out and make more. I didn't see the Queen today but did see early Larva stage and I thought I saw a couple of eggs, so she's there but hiding.

Screen bottom board.


Removable solid board.

Closing off the bottom.

Painted and a grid helps counting Mites.

The screened inner cover helps with ventilation.

A frame full of honey.
A little agitated to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment